2. Technical Guide¶
This ShakeMap Technical Guide is meant as the definitive source of information pertaining to the generation of ShakeMaps. Many of the initial descriptions in Wald et al. (1999a) are outdated and are superseded by this current report. Technical users of ShakeMap should also consult the User’s Guide for additional information pertaining to the format and range of available ShakeMap products.
Throughout this document, all parameters are italicized; specific parameters that can be configured within the ShakeMap software are indicated in parentheses. These configurable parameters are further described in the ShakeMap Software Guide.
- 2.1. ShakeMap Software Overview
- 2.2. Philosophy of Estimating and Interpolating Ground Motions
- 2.3. Recorded Ground-motion Parameters
- 2.4. Ground Motion and Intensity Predictions
- 2.5. ShakeMap Processing
- 2.6. Representing Macroseismic Intensity on Maps
- 2.7. Discussion of Chosen Map Parameters (Intensity Measures)